About this course
This course has closed for September 2017 entry.
Warsash Maritime Academy offers a full marine electro-technical officer (METO) cadet programme by a foundation degree route, leading ultimately to the award of:
- Foundation Degree (FdEng) in Marine Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- UK MCA METO Certificate of Competency (STCW A-III/6 OOW)
- A GMDSS radio maintenance certificate and an electronic navigation equipment maintenance (ENEM) certificate.
The programme also offers a direct top-up pathway to BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering and Management
The scheme consists of five phases (usually over three years): three spent at Warsash for academic delivery and two at sea gaining practical experience. The education and training programme consists of four distinct but complementary elements.
- Academic education at Warsash in conjunction with work-based learning on board ship
- Engineering workshop skills training at Warsash to MNTB-approved standard
- Practical training on board ship, including completion of an MNTB Training Record Book. This enables officer cadets to develop the professional competency needed for initial certification by the MCA
- In addition to the academic studies, the MCA requires officer cadets to take a number of safety and survival courses during their cadetship.
How to apply
Under the current foundation degree route, you apply direct to a shipping company (do not apply through UCAS). For more information, see How to apply for an officer cadetship.
See also our Officer Cadet Training Schemes brochure.
Location of course delivery
From September 2017, the classroom teaching and workshop instruction for this course will be delivered from Solent University's St Mary's campus, located in Southampton city centre. All mandatory STCW maritime safety training courses will continue to be delivered from the Warsash campus.
Find out more
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course:
Telephone: +44 (0)23 8201 5025
Normal office hours are (UK time):
Monday - Thursday: 08.30 - 17.00
Friday 08.30 - 16.30
Foundation Degree (FdEng) in Marine Electrical and Electronic Engineering and MCA Certificate of Competency.
Continual and examination.
Practical and study.
A) Sponsorship from a shipping company to gain sea service.
B) Holds the minimum academic entry qualifications:
- A minimum of 120 UCAS tariff points, including a numerate subject.
- Minimum of four GCSEs Grade C or above including the following subjects: Mathematics (preferably Higher Tier), English, Science (with Physical Science content).
C) A valid personal medical fitness certificate recognised by the MCA.