About this course
The course meets the latest mandatory requirements for approved training in the human element, leadership and management at the management level and the standards of competence to be achieved.
This course is normally for technical officers following an approved education and training programme leading to MCA certification as:
- Chief mate or master on ships of 500GT or more
- Second engineer officer or chief engineer officer on ships powered by main propulsion machinery of 750 kW propulsion power or more.
It meets the obligatory requirements relevant to bridge resource management, engine-room resource management and application of leadership and teamworking skills as set out in Tables A-II/1, A-III/1 and A-III/6 of the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) incorporating the Manila amendments.
This training is a pre-requisite for a management level Certificate of Competency (CoC) issued by the MCA upon meeting the requirements of Regulation II/2 and III/2.
Students will be able to control the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the management level through the use leadership and managerial skills to ensure that:
- The crew are allocated duties and informed of expected standards of work and behaviour in a manner appropriate to the individuals concerned;
- Training objectives and activities are based on assessment of current competence and capabilities and operational requirements;
- Operations are planned and resources are allocated as needed in correct priority to perform the necessary tasks;
- Communication is clearly and unambiguously given and received;
- Effective leadership behaviours are demonstrated;
- Necessary team member(s) share an accurate understanding of current and predicted vessel state and operational status and external environment;
- Decisions are most effective for the situation;
- Operations are demonstrated to be effective and in accordance with applicable rules.
What our students say
- "The exercises were very useful and appropriate. Good practical examples and well-analysed." September 2013
- "Good course, well presented." September 2013
"Very knowledgeable and experienced instructor." September 2013
- "Overall a really good course. I have never done any management/leadership training before so it was a good 'learning curve'." September 2013
- "Tutor knowledge and delivery excellent." September 2013
- "Exercises were useful enough to take responsibilities as a leader." September 2013
- "Very good lecturer, experienced and gave personal situations." September 2013
How to book
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course:
Telephone: +44 (0)23 8201 5004
Normal office hours are (UK time):
Monday - Thursday: 08.30 - 17.00
Friday 08.30 - 16.30
Please be aware that online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure that you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email email@example.com.
Course availability and booking
Monday 25 June 2018
Monday 16 July 2018
Monday 23 July 2018