About this course
This course starts with a basic introduction to civil and criminal law, negligence and duty of care. Other subject areas include an introduction to international law, safety management, certification, documentation, safety requirements and sea worthiness.
On completion delegates should have achieved the following objectives at a level of understanding necessary for and appropriate to the safe operational management of a large yacht:
- state the basic principles of public international law of the sea
- apply the major international shipping conventions to the operation of yachts
- apply the United Kingdom merchant shipping regulations and employment law generally as it relates to the engagement, management and termination of crew contracts of employment
- describe the legal responsibilities of the owner/master as they relate to the provision of a seaworthy vessel, including manning and watch keeping arrangements
- state the statutory duties regarding saving life, in the event of collision, reporting accidents and dangers to navigation
- state the responsibilities of the owner/master for the health and safety of all persons on board yachts
- describe the law and practice of chartering, the basic principles of marine insurance and maritime salvage law as they relate to the safe operation of a yacht.
- Legal framework
- Arrival and departure
- International law
- Safety certificate and documentation
- Prevention of marine pollution
- Statutory safety duties
- Seaworthiness and safe manning
Contracts and marine insurance
- Contracts of salvage
- Contracts of employment
- Yacht charter agreements
- Marine insurance
Course delivery location
From September 2018, this course will be delivered from Solent University's main East Park Terrace campus in Southampton city centre. Please refer to your joining instructions for information of where to report to when you arrive.
Southampton city centre map
Getting to Solent University
How to book
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course:
Telephone: +44 (0)23 8201 5004
Normal office hours are (UK time):
Monday - Thursday: 08.30 - 17.00
Friday 08.30 - 16.30
Please be aware that online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure that you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email email@example.com.
Course availability and booking
Monday 12 November 2018
Monday 28 January 2019
Monday 17 June 2019