About this course
This course builds on the knowledge gained in the OOW (Yachts) training modules and gives a greater insight into the wide range of safety and seamanship issues required of the Master of a large yacht.
The course is made up five sections:
- Dangers and precautions during heavy weather
- Precautionary measures for maintaining buoyancy
- Procedures when towing or being towed
- Ship handling
- Procedures for bringing a vessel to anchor
- Navigational dangers
Navigation and passage planning
- Navigation in ice
- General meteorology
- Tropical revolving storms
- Weather forecasting
SOLAS and MARPOL
- International requirements for the safety of life at sea
- International requirement for the prevention of pollution at sea
Safety management and the code of safe working practices for merchant seamen
- Personal hygiene and safety
- Code of Safe Working Practices for Merchant Seamen
- Safety organisation and role and responsibility of the safety officer
- Reporting of unsafe practices and incidents
- Principles of planning work activities, setting objectives and priorities to ensure requirements are met
Course delivery location
From September 2018, this course will be delivered from Solent University's main East Park Terrace campus in Southampton city centre. Please refer to your joining instructions for information of where to report to when you arrive.
Southampton city centre map
Getting to Solent University
How to book
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course:
Telephone: +44 (0)23 8201 5004
Normal office hours are (UK time):
Monday - Thursday: 08.30 - 17.00
Friday 08.30 - 16.30
Online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your joining instructions will tell you which campus your training will take place at - please read carefully and take note.
Course availability and booking
Monday 24 June 2019