About this course
This course is undertaken as an integral part of the chief mate certification programme and cannot be booked separately. Advance bookings by chief mate candidates are not required.
Before undertaking this course, candidates must have completed at least 12 months' watchkeeping service whilst holding a certificate of competency issued under Regulation II/1 of the STCW Convention, 1978 (as amended) and provide documentary evidence of successful completion of:
- MCA approved Navigation, Radar and ARPA Simulator Training (Operational Level) course completed on or after 1 January 2005; or
- MCA approved ECDIS course completed on or after 1 January 2005; or
- ECDIS course in compliance with IMO Model Course 1.27 and approved by an administration whose CoC is accepted by the MCA for the issue of a CEC.
The aim of the training at this level is to maintain safe navigation through the use of radar, automatic radar plotting aids (ARPA), electronic chart display and information systems (ECDIS), automatic identification systems (AIS) and modern navigation systems to assist command decision-making and the application of effective bridge resource management principles and procedures.
At the end of the training, candidates will be able to:
- plan a voyage and conduct navigation;
- determine position and the accuracy of resultant position fix by terrestrial observations and using modern electronic navigational aids;
- maintain safe navigation through the use of information from navigation equipment and systems, including radar and ARPA to assist command decision making;
- maintain the safety of navigation through the use of ECDIS and associated navigation systems to assist command decision making;
- manoeuvre and handle a ship in all conditions;
- coordinate search and rescue operations; and
- establish watchkeeping arrangements and procedures.
Course delivery location
From 1 June 2019, this course will be delivered from our new maritime simulation centre at Solent University's main East Park Terrace campus in Southampton city centre. Please check your joining instructions for further information.
How to book
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course:
Tel: +44 (0)23 8201 5015
Our office hours are (UK time):
Monday - Thursday: 08.30 - 17.00
Friday 08.30 - 16.30
Your joining instructions will tell you which campus your training will take place at - please read carefully and take note.