About this course
This course is suitable for seafarers who are about to serve, or are already serving as either safety representatives or safety officers. This training is intended to meet the requirements set out in The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) Regulations and the Code of Safe Working Practice for Merchant Seafarers (CoSWP).
The course addresses both accident prevention and accident investigation.
The aims of the course are to ensure that the delegates will:
- Understand the duties of the SSO
- Have considered the legal framework for safety
- Understand the relationship between the ISM code, safety management onboard ship
- Have an overview of the ISM code
- Have considered the causes of accidents
- Understand the process and limitations of risk assessment
- Have considered the accident investigation process
- Understand the importance of appropriate interviewing technique
- Have considered factors influencing the effectiveness of safety committee meetings
Course delivery location
From September 2018, this course will be delivered from Solent University's main East Park Terrace campus in Southampton city centre. Please refer to your joining instructions for information of where to report to when you arrive.
Southampton city centre map
Getting to Solent University
How to book
Please contact the admissions team if you require more information about this course:
Telephone: +44 (0)23 8201 5004
Normal office hours are (UK time):
Monday - Thursday: 08.30 - 17.00
Friday 08.30 - 16.30
Online bookings will be confirmed with joining information within one working day of the booking being made. Confirmation of payment should be received in the normal way.
Please ensure you follow the booking process and do not enter payment details more than once, unless you are booking more than one course. If you experience any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your joining instructions will tell you which campus your training will take place at - please read carefully and take note.
Course availability and booking
Monday 8 April 2019
Monday 10 June 2019