Search the site

Your room

Students and cadets living in University residences are responsible for looking after their rooms and everything within them. The following advice may help you keep your belongings safe and ensure you don't break your tenancy agreement.


Core possessions insurance has been provided through Endsleigh for every student living in the student residences for the 16/17 academic year.

The insurance covers a range of belongings in your room, including laptops, sports and electrical equipment and clothes. This has been arranged by the University at no extra cost to students. 

It is important that you check the cover provided, so please follow the steps below.

Enter your policy number HH1179 here to check your policy details.

You have the option to customise and extend your policy to suit your individual needs and avoid being under-insured. For example you may want to insure your other possessions such as your mobile phone, push bike or laptop for use outside your room.

For claims information or to extend your policy, please visit the Endsleigh website.

Internet connection

StudentCom is the exclusive provider of broadband services in Solent University student residences. You will register for your internet service before you move into your student residence via the student residences online induction. This will take place once you have received the offer of a room in residences.

All resident students will have up to 50mb broadband access FREE of charge. Other broadband options are available at additional cost if required.

For further information please visit the StudentCom website.

Smoking policy

There is no smoking allowed within any part of the University's student accommodation this includes study bedrooms and communal areas such as kitchens, corridors, toilets, common rooms, lobbies, stairways and landings.

Smoking (including the use of all forms of electronic cigarettes or vaping apparatus) is not permitted indoors or within five metres of any entrance or window of the residence. Designated smoking areas should be used where available.

Residents who fail to comply with the policy will be in breach of the terms of residency and subject to disciplinary measures.

Guests or visitors of residents breaching the policy will be requested to cease smoking on the premises. A guest or visitor who refuses to stop smoking will be required to leave the premises.

TV licensing

You will need to have a TV Licence to watch or record TV programmes as they are broadcast and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand or on catch up TV, ie, iPlayer. You also need a TV Licence to watch or record programmes on any channel.

This applies to any device and provider you use, including:

  • TV sets (including smart TVs)
  • Laptops and desktop computers
  • Tablets, mobile phone and other portable devices
  • Digital boxes or PVRs (such as Sky, Virgin Media or BT Vision)
  • Games consoles
  • Media streaming devices (such as Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Now TV)
  • Freeview, Freesat or YouView

If you are found to be using a TV without a licence, you may be prosecuted and fined up to £1000.

Students requiring further information should visit the TV Licensing website.

Accessibility tools

Change font size

Change colours